Thursday, September 29, 2011

My Bewitching Halloween Door Decor

I must admit, I'm sort of bewitched with my fun little Halloween themed door decor!  Take a look at my DIY chalkboard witch hat creation hanging from my new favorite thing- a vintage numbered clothes hanger from Bachman's (branded Creative Co-Op).
This was sooooo easy to make! I used burlap, chalkboard spray paint, and a numbered button I already had (how nice is it that I happened to have a 31, which is the date for Halloween?!).

 The only thing I purchased was this witch hat from Target. It was only $2.50 up front in their See Spot Save section- who doesn't love that little dollar store section?!?
 I ripped off the black tulle and small rosettes.  Just needed the bare bones witch hat.

Here is the strip/ ribbon of burlap I used and the number 31 button. 

We had a can of Rust-oleum's chalkboard paint in the basement.  I grabbed it and spray painted the flat rim part of the witch hat.
 I wish I had taken pictures of it, but to be honest, I didn't know if chalkboard paint would work on fabric.  Well....

It did!!!  Once the chalkboard paint dried, chalk adhered to the hat just fine.

I pinned the burlap ribbon around the top of the hat, then pinned on the #31 button.

I just love how each detail turned out!

Here is a closer look at just the vintage styled clothes hanger.  It is rustic, has a number plate, and three clips. I can't wait to brainstorm other decorating ideas for this hanger for Christmas!

I think the witch hat is a fun alternative to a wreath or a sign. Love how it turned out!

So... chalkboard paint on fabric, check- it can work!  Cheap hat from Target's dollar section, it can be something more!

It's always fun learning as you go with decor, right?!? Are you liking the chalkboard witch hat?

More fun fall posts to come!!! Gosh, I love fall, there are so many fun ways to decorate!  Does anyone else feel like fall brings new, fun and inspiring ideas for home decor?

It's party time!  Linky party it up with us at Southern Hospitality's Fall Door Decor party!


The DIY Show Off

8 comments:

  1. This is so cool!!!!! I love it and it is so unique! Great jog!! Drooling over the hanger!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful job!!Love it, the whimsy and fun, wow!! The price was perfect too!! Love your unique creativity!!

    Hugs Giggles

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great idea... I have to try this for decoration too!

    Have a nice day

    Birgit

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks everybody! Can't wait to get some more Halloween decor going on in the house!

    ~Carla

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carla how fun!! You are so creative!! I never would have thought of using the chalkboard paint on fabric!

    I have hooked up with Julia's Party as well!

    xoxo
    Karena

    Art by Karena

    ReplyDelete
  6. So cute and so clever! Thanks for the great idea.
    Love your blog.

    Buffie
    http://papercuts4u.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! What's on your mind?