Monday, November 14, 2011

Bachman's 2011 Holiday Idea House: The Elegance of Winter

Get ready for some major Holiday inspiration!  It is time once again for Bachman's Idea House!

I think by now you know the drill with the Idea House but just in case:
Bachman's is a Floral and Gift Garden here in Minneapolis, and their Idea House was their original founder's house built in the 1920's. The company now uses the house for their seasonal Idea House creating entirely new rooms for each of the four seasons. Everything about each room is different for each season's idea house, right down to the paint on the walls. When you enter the house you get a brochure that lists all the details for each room including the paint color and 'ideas'. The cool part? Everything in each room is for sale!
 
We'll start in the Sunroom this time, I will list all the Ideas at the end of each room.

Get your Pin It ready, here we go!
The Sunroom






Metal wall urns used as planters
Side table made from a silver-painted log, silver tray and glass round
Birdcages filled with a miniature garden and clip-on bird ornaments
Metal arms added to Christmas tree that hold bird's nests made of honeysuckle vine and tinsel with battery operated candles
Garden fence repurposed as greeting card holder
Topiary embellished with ornaments

The Living Room











Salvaged porch rail turned into wall shelf
Glass light fixtures and wire laundry baskets turned into side tables
Vintage child sized bed frame, bedspring, glass and doilies used as a coffee table
Cabinet doors decorated using foam board, fabric, ribbon and jewelry pins
Outdoor birdbath transformed into a side table with glass top
Ivy topiaries decorated with clip on bird ornaments
Spindle legs added to a suitcase creating a dog bed
Sofa throw pillow and Christmas stockings embellished with jewelry pins
Garden stool used as side table with lights added
Large candelabra embellished with shatter proof ornaments, bottlelabra and greenery
Fireplace Mantel & Hearth:
Salvages architectural wood pieces as frame
Salvaged whiskey barrel ring, ball ornaments, and wreath made into larger wreath
Wicker baskets and candles embellished with ribbon and jewelry pins
Salvaged mirrors added to hearth
Garden fence added to inside of windows; used as easy hooks for crystal ornaments

The Entry

Salvaged porch post turned into a coat rack
Vintage plant stand used for repurposed church lanterns


The Dining Room





Decorative wood headboard and footboard turned into a planter and filled with silver-sprayed garden hydrangeas, ivy plants, tree-toppers, candlesticks and candles
Wallpaper hung to add interest on wall; edges finished with narrow silver ribbon
Oversized silver wreath made from vintage silver trays and chargers
Punch and snack tray cups turned into garland and hung in windows
Birdbath decorated with glass cloche, moss, silk ivy, flowers and figurines
Hutch decorated with metal trees with battery-operated LED lights
Dining Room Table and Chairs:
Table set with layered fabric remnants, felt fabric, table runners, lace, and mirrors
Chairs embellished with folded napkins, oversized tassel ornaments, and brooches
Candelabra embellished with ornaments and napkin-ring candle rings
Photo frames with pictures used as place card holders
Chandelier embellished with "crystal" plastic punch cups

The Kitchen



Wallpaper made from placemats
Light fixture made from a commercial colander
Pot rack made from salvaged wood ladder
Towel and soap holder made from a vintage basket
Wall shelf made from the front of a vintage church organ
Vintage baking pans used as wall art
Curtain valance made from salvaged rood architectural pieces and kitchen utensils
Vintage cookbook turned utensil holder
Vintage metal lawyers cabinet turned into storage shelves
Shelves decorated with vintage milk glass bottles and ornaments
Mashers used as recipe cardholders

Lower Bathroom
Salvaged wood rail turned into towel holder and shelf
Salvaged ceiling tins turned into a mirror


The Stairwell




Vintage salvaged letters and frames to spell "Peace" and "Joy"
Step risers to spell out "Twas the night before Christmas..." using stencils, laminated paper, and ribbon
Curtain tiebacks made of ribbon and jewelry pins


Boy's Bedroom: Planes, Trains, and Automobiles




Headboard made from a vintage schoolroom chalkboard decorated with LED Christmas lights and tail-light cover ornaments
Bedskirt made from salvaged wheelbarrow tires
Orange traffic cone turned into ceiling light fixture
Railroad track wall decor made from salvaged metal and wood
Closet doorknob created from old steering wheel
Salvaged railroad crossing sign used as wall decor
Desk made from truck gate and jacks
Desk chair from car bucket seat
Shelves created from truck sideboards and vintage signs
Wall art created using flower pots and fan blades
Curtain valance and floor runner made from tire tread
Painted road on wall created with magnetic paint and magnetic cars
Storage bins made from a folding ladder
Floor lamp and table lamp made using salvaged auto parts
Plastic oil containers transformed into pencil holders

Girl's Bedroom: Bohemian Woodland
Regarding the trellis- note this is NOT my home (and I do not have a daughter, son, or any children yet, LOL) it is a design "Idea House" we were able to attend and they didn't give us information regarding where the trellis was found or purchased from.  I've gotten a lot of emails asking about it and I'm sorry I don't have further info, but hope that saves you the trouble of sending an email if you were about to :)



Bed canopy made from garden trellis with wood shelves added
Bed canopy lights created using LED lights and paper cups
Steering wheel covers covered with salvaged metal circles and decorated with car magnets
Accent pillows made from scrap fabric and headbands
Ceiling light fixture created from a vintage garden basket and tassel key chains
Christmas tree in a vintage child's sleigh decorated with stuffed toys, socks, and ornaments
Decorative wall tree and window valance made from wood scraps and cupcake liner flowers
Lamp decorated with boho wrap and buttons
Round magnet boards made from spray-painted cake pans and buttons
Vintage laundry cart, wood cart and tin pails used for storage
Wood picnic table repurposed as a desk
Jump rope and clothes pins used to hang artwork

Upper Level Bathroom


Wall mounted vintage basket with ribbon used as towel storage
Curtain valence made from Christmas garland and small-framed mirrors
Sink shelf made of salvaged wood corbels and floor gate
Drawer pull used to make a towel bar
Robe hooks made with picture frame, lace, and wall hooks
Spa-inspired words spelled out on package labels hanging from shower curtain
Vintage stomper turned into extra toilet paper holder
Floor grate and twine holder made into a toilet paper holder

The Master Bedroom





Bed frame made from salvaged vintage porch posts
Child's bedspring hung as wall art
Glass vases turned into candle holders tied with tree trim garland and filled with birch logs, black and white photos, and candles
Laundry basket used for Christmas tree base
Vintage dress form used to display jewelry
Salvaged wood architecture pieces turned into wall shelves
Bedside table made from a sewing machine base and vintage NY Times books
Curtain rods decorated with Christmas ornaments
Artwork displayed using vintage doorknob hooks and clothes hangers
Wood architecture railing piece used as shoe organizer in the closet
Christmas tree decorated with salvaged spindles, scarves, necklaces, picture frames and photos
Gas station bathroom mirrors layered with hand mirrors on wall


The Craft Room: Inspiration Room





Bulletin boards made from doors covered with foam board and fabric
Craft letters spell out words of inspiration on doors
Salvaged ladders turned into shelves
Wall covered in fabric and buttons
A Christmas tree made from bedsprings and balls of twine
Vintage hardware store spinner used for storage
Commercial bakery bread pans stacked as organizing trays
Salvaged chair parts reassembled to make a new chair
Christmas tree made from paper towels and fabric using chicken wire as a frame
Locker doors turned into storage and magnet boards
T-squares used as wall hooks
Restaurant order spinner used in the ceiling light fixture
Bandannas used as curtain valances
Vintage book and magazine spinner used as a craft organizer
Salvaged picture frame and chicken wire used as decorative paint and paintbrush holder
Wire baskets become ribbon display/ holders
Vintage steam trunk used as organizer
Small rag rugs pieced together to make an area rug

The Front Porch




House numbers made from log sections and painted numbers
Coffee table made from salvaged wood architectural pieces
Wine bottle tree made from a birch tree trunk, dowels, spruce tops, wine bottles and LED lights
Window "flocked" using spray paint and lace tablecloth (easily wipes off)
Lanterns filled with now, small ornaments and battery-operated LED candles
Silver serving pieces used as decorative swag on the door
Curtain valance made of paper towels and assorted greenery
Ceiling decoration made from greenery, plastic plant saucer and shatterproof ornaments
Bed springs repurposed into a Christmas tree
Sofa "upholstered" with clothesline and sweaters
LED lights in wicker candle holders/ vases surrounded by fresh greens
Woodland arrangement featuring fresh greens, birch tree poles and battery-operated LED candles inside of wine bottles

Phew!  Got all of that?!?

What were your favorite Ideas?

I LOVED the Master Bedroom!  That Christmas tree was so feminine and elegant!  I also loved the stacked books that had a message printed on each cover along with the mini birch logs inside the candle holders.

OH!  I totally loved the message on the staircase too!  However, it still wasn't as cool as what we did with our staircase last year :)  But maybe we will do without putting snow in the house and just write out a message this time!

Click here to see the 2010 Holiday House and 2011 Spring, Summer, and Fall Houses

************************

PLEASE NOTE:  In case you didn't read the top of the post, I just want to reiterate that this IS NOT OUR HOUSE and I am not employed or affiliated with Bachman's in any way (which means I did not decorate the rooms shown).  I am a HUGE fan of the Ideas House and love sharing it as long as they allow people take photographs when they visit.  It seems some people have been confused about that and I would NEVER want to take credit for something I did not work on.  There, I feel better now :)

Hope you found some inspiration, thanks for stopping by!

49 comments:

  1. WOW!! Some fantastic inspiration! I LOVE that huge basket above the toilet in the bathroom. I've been looking everywhere for one of those! Thanks for posting!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE Bachman's Idea House. They are so creative!! Makes me want to pull out all of our Holiday decor already!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful post with so many great ideas, I love the baskets hanging on the wall with all the ribbons.
    I will keep my eye out for those to keep my ribbons tidy.
    Thank you so much for sharing.
    Hugs,
    Angela.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad you share this house every season with those of us who live too far away to go. I just love it this time, way too many ideas swimming around in my head now. I can't wait to decorate for Christmas now!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always love when you poast the Bachman idea houses! I would love to walk through something like this...but seeing your wonderfully picked photos is almost just as good! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing! Thank you for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just found your blog! OH MY!!!! You inspire me! I look forward to following you!
    Julie
    Entirely Apropos

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'll add my clapping and cheers to the others in awe of this blog!! Mel's Designs from the Cabin

    ReplyDelete
  9. GORGEOUS GORGEOUS GORGEOUS!! There are so many FAB ideas there! I did a silver tree stump (in wheels) check it out here http://objectofmayaffection.blogspot.com/2011/09/stumped.html.
    LOVE the charger wreath - SO doing that this year!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Swoon. Ing! I'm going to look at these pics several times to take it all in.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fabulous! This was such a treat to tour!!! Kim over at Cheap Chic Home sent me a link! I like what I see!!! Now Following!

    ~Mikey @ Shabby French Cottage
    www.shabbyfrenchcottage.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh My Gosh! This was absolutely breath-taking! I can't imagine the creativity, the brilliant decorating and design genius that accomplished this! Spectacular! Thank you so much for sharing! I'm going to be following your blog from now on for more goodies! Hugs, Leena

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so glad you all are loving the photos and ideas from Bachmans! Which ideas are your favorites?!?! I know there are a couple projects I am going to tackle after visiting Bachman's, what about you???

    ~Carla

    ReplyDelete
  14. Seriously? How could you not just stand there and gape with your mouth open? Incredible! I'll be revisiting just to study the details. I found you through pinterest. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, what wonderful vintage holiday inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful. So many wonderfully inspiring ideas!
    ~Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  17. Holiday Greetings, Carla!

    WOW! WOW! WOW! Thank you so much for taking the time to post all these stunningly gorgeous photos. What terrific inspiration you've shared with us all. I absolutely loved my visit today! I hope one day I can visit the Bachman's Idea House - it would be so worth the travel...

    Happy Thanksgiving,
    Linda at Beautiful Ideas

    ReplyDelete
  18. Absolutely fabulous!! Loved it all and I'm probably in "inspiration overload"...but that's a good thing! The master bedroom is amazing - love the tree, etc......... :) (My first stop to your blog - I'm a follower now!) Thanks for sharing and Happy Thanksgiving.

    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  19. Absolutely fabulous!! Loved it all and I'm probably in "inspiration overload"...but that's a good thing! The master bedroom is amazing - love the tree, etc......... :) (My first stop to your blog - I'm a follower now!) Thanks for sharing and Happy Thanksgiving.

    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  20. So fun! I went with my mom the day after Thanksgiving. I'm hoping to blog about it too, but our track record has been at about zero for blogging this last month, so we'll see! Thanks for sharing your experience and beautiful pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This was truly fantastic. Thank you for capturing and sharing your tour. I think I may be able to work in a couple of ideas this Christmas season but the rest will surely keep me busy this coming year! Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I think I have a copy of the picture you have on your tree! I bought it in Canada!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Just found your blog via pinterest. and this house. wow it is amazing! thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow!!! I thought this was your house at first. It is gorgeous!! Do you happen to know anything about the work table in the craft room? I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a darlin blog. I'm now follower #602 and can't wait to see what's in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Was A wonderful imagination and so creative. I wish my mind worked more like that and I could come up with so many great ideas. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Amazing home...thanks for sharing! Can you tell me the paint color and brand you used in your 'planes ,trains, and automobile' boy room?

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi Anonymous @ 3:32, I'm sorry I don't know the paint color, and it isn't my house. I added disclaimers at the beginning and end of the post but I know some people may miss them. The brochure they hand out at the Idea House does list paint colors but I don't have my copy anymore. Next time I go I will be sure to also include the paint colors in my blog post recap- good idea!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wow Oh wow. How wondeerful, such a huge lot of insperation.
    I must follow. Thanks so much for the post.
    Hugs
    Kay

    ReplyDelete
  30. Absolutely beautiful and some great ideas that are easy to replicate. Thank you for sharing.
    Special request: Please, please, please can I have permission to reproduce your photo of the stack of books with the "Friends...." words...pretty please : )

    ReplyDelete
  31. WOW, WOW, and Double WOW!!!!!I LOVED, LOVED, LOVED all the ideas. My favorites was the big basket in the bathroom and, the lanterns on the Porch. I'm OVER WOWED with all the ideas. Always LOVE this HOME. Thanks for sharing. BLESSINGS

    ReplyDelete
  32. Any idea how those silver platters are attached together in that big wreath? I've stared and stared at it and can't figure it out. It's just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no idea how they did it, and I get this question so much through my email! I wish I would have looked at how they put it together. My guess is they made a big circle/wreath to attach the platters to? Maybe using liquid nails type glue you can get at Home Depot. That is my guess, sorry I can't be more help!

      Delete
  33. I would love to have one of the big huge baskets hanging in that bathroom...Any ideas where it came from?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry I don't know where they got it, but I am pretty sure it was an antique store find since it looked pretty aged. Hope you can find one too!

      Delete
  34. I LOVE everything about this post! Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  35. super cute creative ideas! thanks for sharing, so glad I found you.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Just wondering.. what kind of board is it that you put on the walls in both of the bathrooms? I love the look and I'm actually thinking about doing the same in my bathroom if I can figure out what it's called! Lol

    ReplyDelete
  37. LOVE it! So refreshing to see unique creativity! Definitely not another boring carbon copy of what everyone else is doing!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Found a ton of inspiration! Thanks for taking out time to share! Creative, unique one of a kind ideas! I am really growing tired of seeing the same RA style carbon copies over and over and OVER again!It becomes so monotonous!I love re purposed items so much because you usually have to design them yourself and put your own personality into it! Thanks : )There is a fine line between inspiration and imitation.

    ReplyDelete
  39. STUNNING!! Beautiful space.I cant wait to make something like it.Thank you.


    Porch columns

    ReplyDelete
  40. i love the woodland-themed bedroom! i have been looking and looking and looking for a suitable trellis to use for my project, but cannot find one. can you tell me where you got yours?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It isn't our house, I have that written in the text of the post but I know it is hard to tell if you find us via Pinterest or Google Image search. It is a design "Idea House" that you can walk through to get ideas, I imagine they got it from a garden store or architectural salvage store though. I know it isn't from a specific retail place that can be ordered from, sorry I can't be more help, good luck!

      Delete
  41. I love the train room. How did you make the tracks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It isn't our house, it is a design "Idea House" that you can visit and walk through. Sorry I don't have all the info, your guess might be as good as mine on the tracks?

      Delete
  42. I am using the tree in the first picture for a Christmas Tree Round-up on Monday and will totally be linking back here! What a fun post ... this house is amazing and you are lucky to visit!

    ReplyDelete
  43. Never seen anything so creative - inspires one to re-cycle absolutely everything.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! What's on your mind?