Friday, June 14, 2013

Head Over Heels DIY(?) Friday: Chair Project Help

Well, not much DIY-ing going as planned (wa-wa).  In it's place is a lot of "ugh, what should I do?" since I got the fabric I order in the mail for my latest chair redo project.  Sure, the fabric is exactly what I picked out but now that I am seeing the texture and scale of the pattern with the chair I'm second guessing my choice :(

So, I am wondering if I can get some help from you out there?  Please take a look at the pictures I took of the chair with the fabric- and keep in mind I need to paint the chairs still (they are a bit roughed up from sanding). 
What would you do? 
Do you think the fabric looks nice?
If you keep the fabric, what color would you paint the chairs?

Now if you feel kind of ehh about it or flat out hate it, I have a second thought option (I also need your opinion here).  I admit, I like watching the Fashion Police on E! and given my current predicament, I couldn't help but wonder if I should update these chairs with a similar look to the ones on their set?  Basically, the wood would be white with dark gray slubby fabric and nailhead trim.  They just look so cute and classic when I see them on the show.  Hmmm...
Fashion Police set via E! Online  |  Louis Chair via Jonathan Adler


What do you think? What kind of look would make you Head Over Heels for these chairs?
I think I might be in a DIY rut :(  Please help me out if you have a moment to post a comment, I'd really appreciate it!

15 comments:

  1. Hmm, I'm with you on the fabric not quite going with that chair. Even though the fabric is lovely. I'm trying to picture it with the chair painted a white or a bright yellow or green, but I still don't quite like it. (And I'm not sure how a yellow or green would go in your house.)

    I LOVE those chairs you posted from Fashion Police. I can really see you making your chairs into something similar. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yellow was my first thought for a color too. But I also agree that the pattern just doesn't sit right on the chair.

      Delete
    2. Yea, I think I am going to have to ditch that fabric for this chair, seems like everyone is agreeing on that!

      Delete
  2. I like your choice of fabric in the first picture. However, I think the cane weaving on the back of the chairs throws the pattern of the fabric off. I definitely like your second choice. I like the chairs too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed! The cane pattern is totally not working with the fabric. I think I will go the other route or use some great vintage fabric I just bought!

      Delete
  3. I think the print is beautiful but just too big for the chair. Id prefer a solid or subtle lined thick fabric. White with dark grey sounds gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your choice of fabric (and you already have it!!). I'd paint / distress the chairs white or cream (I can't tell what the fabric is...white or cream). See Miss Mustard Seed's blog for her milk paint ideas. I'd leave some of the wood showing through. If you don't like it, paint it all white/cream. I look forward to seeing what you do!! Have fun and thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool, thanks for the tip I will check out Miss Mustard Seed's blog and have a look!

      Delete
  5. Love those Jonathon Adler chairs. I vote you go that route. I'm not much of a fan of the fabric you picked out. Wellll...at least not for the chairs. We don't have cable anymore. I miss Fashion Police. Wah!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lauren! I think everyone agrees that fabric doesn't look good at all with the chairs. And no cable?!?! I would miss Bravo way too much, but perhaps I'd be more productive if I had no TV to get sucked into?

      Delete
  6. Loving the fabric, but might be best on a different project? The chairs are grand, a slubby fabric would provide texture and contrast...maybe a slight luster/pearl to the paint too? Just a subtle touch. Liking the monogram pillow too on inspiration picture. Good luck! Can't wait to see!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Claudia, I agree and will have to find a different project for that fabric, oh well! Oh, I also loved the monogrammed pillows when I saw that pic, had no idea that those were there. I might have to make something like it too!

      Delete
  7. Loving the fabric, but might be best on a different project? The chairs are grand, a slubby fabric would provide texture and contrast...maybe a slight luster/pearl to the paint too? Just a subtle touch. Liking the monogram pillow too on inspiration picture. Good luck! Can't wait to see!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would also use that fabric on another chair. I think it should be a less active fabric on those particular chairs. The fabric is fab, just not on those chairs. I see a daaaaaark fabric and a grey-ish white paint on the wood.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! What's on your mind?